Saturday, August 21, 2010

What A Great Day I Had


My friend, Evans, graciously invited me to the 80th birthday party for his grandmother so I could get a feel of Ghanian culture up front and personal. I HAD A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!! I rode with he and his family to the Lake Volta region of Ghana, which is three hours from Accra. I loved the scenery and I love the way Ghanians converse with one another. Even though I did not understand what they were saying, I enjoyed the banter between his sister, mother and another relative. We went to a small town in Keta in the Dzelukope section.

The ceremony was so moving and the party thereafter was great!!! I love to watch Ghanian women dance. It just comes out of their souls and consumes them and they can't help but get on their feet and dance. Evans and his counsin and I hung out all day and they helped me taste some of the tasty treats the vendors sold. As per the instructions from the Travel Doctor back home, I had been staying away from foods that vendors sold on the street so I ate slowly just case there were any stomach upset or any other issues. Happy to say, there were no problems mon. I tried out Aliha, which is a delicious drink made from Maize and Dzowe, which is made with pine nuts, ginger, cloves, corn power, sugar and spices. It was so yummy!!!

After the ceremony, there was dancing singing and great food. Evans and I took the tro tro back to Tuma and he rode with me back to campus in a taxi. He is such a perfect gentleman. I am so proud that I finally rode the tro tro and feel more confident about getting around. Evans' cousin teased me that now that I have rode the tro tro, I am a real Ghanian. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment