Friday, August 27, 2010

Getting The Supplies


I asked Peggy, who works at the front desk in my dorm, if she knew of anyone who would be willing to show me how to make a couple of Ghanian dishes. She said she could show me a couple of dishes. We went to the market today to get the supplies for our day tomorrow. I got to see marketplace bargaining up close and it is a sight to behold. EVERYTHING is bargained over. Peggy is a pro. As I walked through the market, vendors were calling out Sister, Sister. African marketplaces are ancient and I got a chance to practice my Twi. I noticed everytime I said a couple of phrases, everyone would smile at me. Ghanians appreciate when you try to communicate utilizing Twi.

Thereafter, we went back to Peggy's house and preped some of the food for tomorrow. Her whole family then prepared a meal and we sat in her courtyard in a circle eating out of a clay pot with our hands. The communal nature of African life is so beautiful! Everyone took turns preparing the meal or cleaning up thereafter. The food was so good and healthly. She cooked this stew (sorry can't remember the name) and we used boiled yams (yams are different here than they are in the U.S.) and plaintains to scoop up the stew. It was delicious!!!!

Peggy negotiated with a taxi for me and I rode back to campus looking forward to returning to her home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment