Monday, August 23, 2010

My Tro Tro Experience--So Proud Of Me!


I finally got up the nerve to ride the Tro Tro alone. Left early for church and walked to the main gate where I caught a Tro Tro to La Paz. There it got a little tricky because I had to transfer and the location I was going to was not the name for the Tro Tro. I asked someone what Tro Tro I should take and listened closely as each driver pulled up and yelled out their destination. Thankfully, the Tro Tro I needed had the name on the front. When I got in the driver asked for my money and I handed him 5 cedi and he gave it back to me. I think he was trying to ask me where I was going and I heard another girl say, "she does not know." LOL. When I spotted the church, I told him I needed to get off (must learn how to say that in Twi) and went to give him my money, but he said the ride is over now. I skipped happily to the church so proud of me!!!!

After church was over, was not in the mood to pack into the Tro Tro's again and being the intrepid soul I am becoming, I asked a young man to get me a taxi. It is a common ploy of visitors to Ghana to ask a Ghanian to negotiate a price for a taxi and then jump out of the bushes and jump in the cab. The young man had negotiated a price of 10 cedi (I paid 20 the week before). When I stepped up to the taxi, the driver quickly said 15. I said 10 and he said 12. I went to walk away (that usually causes them to back down), and he relented and took 10 cedi(which comes to $6.97 U.S. dollars). Thereafter, the driver will give you alot of attitude because he could not get over on you. I'm getting so good at this. I asked two people at the church what is the going rate for a Sunday back to my area and they said between 8-10 cedi, so I refused to budge from this price.

I then went to the Accra Mall and had dinner. There was a soccer match on and the whole restaurant erupted into cheers as one team scored a goal. The Ghanians love their soccer and there are still big billboards up all around town about their victories in the world cup competition. When I was returning to campus, the Tro Tro stop was a little ways down so I took a cab and negotiated a fair price. The key is to be willing to walk away and boy is this getting fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment