Friday, September 10, 2010

The Weekend


Well another weekend is upon us. The weeks are going by so fast. Plan to take it easy this weekend. I got a fever last night and woke up feeling not so hot. Plan to stay in most of the weekend to rest and study. Many of the kids got sick this week so a few of us are feeling the pain. Feel really frustrated that my foot is not healing as fast as I would like, but it is what it is. The Doctor that saw me at the clinic recommended I approach the teacher about possibly writing a paper for the course as he said it is going to take a minute for this foot to heal.

Finished writing two papers for my Ghana Culture and Society class. One was on the differences and similarities found in the production and functions in Adinkra cloth and Kente cloth. I learned so much and I am simply loving my classes!!!! I dropped the Geology class (too technical and I did not need it for graduation), and picked up Introduction to Religious Studies. Love this class and my Archaeology classes are so interesting!!!! We have a field trip upcoming to an archaeological site which I can't wait to attend. Studying Archaeology in Africa is unbelievable!!!!! There are sites locally that date back more than 50,000 years. My Intro. to Archaeology professor stated that all of Legon (where the school is located) is an archaeology site. I must admit that it is hard paying attention in class when my instructors are so fine!!!!!

There is a play being held in the Drama Department on Sunday and me and my adopted daughter, Trisha, are going to attend. It is only 5 cedi and it looks like it will be good. So, today, I just downloaded Kem's new CD, Intimacy, from itunes, which is really nice by the way, and I'm going to take it easy. Listening to Kem’s CD makes me really miss the Long Beach Jazz Festival and Russian River Jazz Festival which are all going on in California during this time of year.

Found a woman on campus that does Sisterlocs (thank God!!!!!!), and I have my first appointment tomorrow. I was going to try to maintain them myself, but so glad to have someone else do it for me. I went to the Sisterlocs website and found a woman here. When I emailed her, she said that it was someone right here on campus that does them, so I'm really happy to have this pampering while here in Ghana.

Well that's it for now. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I took an African name. The Asante of Ghana give their children names according to the day of the week on which they were born. As I was born on Monday, mine's is Adwoa (ad-dwa).
Boys:
Sunday - Kwasi
Monday - Kwadwo
Tuesday - Kwabena
Wednesday - Kwaku
Thursday - Yaw
Friday - Kofi
Saturday - Kwame

Girls:
Sunday - Akosua
Monday - Adwoa
Tuesday - Abenaa
Wednesday - Akua
Thursday - Yaa
Friday Afua/Afia
Saturday - Amma

The picture attached is from Lake Bosomtwi. We went there during orientation and it is in the Ashanti Region. I found out while doing my paper that the lake was formed 1.7 million years ago when an ancient meteorite hit the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment