Monday, September 6, 2010

It's Been A Month


Since we arrived in Ghana. I feel like so much has happened in this short period of time and the time is going by so fast. I feel like I'll never be that woman who left San Francisco in August again.

Slowly getting the hang of life here. As I rode on the campus shuttle tonight, the campus is starting to seem more familiar and more like home. Since I have to stay off my feet, I had to map out where to get off the campus shuttle tomorrow morning when I attend my class. The shuttle operator just laughed at me when she realized what I was doing and waved at me when I got off at my Hostel.

The weather has been so nice since we're been here. This is the end of the rainy season, so we have had a few rainy days, but it is not too hot and not too cool--just right. Unfortunately, each day is beginning to get warmer and warmer as we move into the dry season and the coming of the heat that I have been wishing to avoid. Just glad I got a chance to get used to the campus and life here before the days turn hot.

Yesterday we had a power outage and the electricity was off for most of the day. As I sat in my little room and studied by flashlight, I thought how life here reminds me of my humble beginnings growing up in New York City. Before my working years, a mortgage and 401(k)'s consumed my adult life. I feel so blessed to be able to get off the beaten path and feel a freedom I have not felt since I was a kid. This whole experience is making me appreciate the simple things in life once again and appreciate just being alive. When you see how hard some people here have to work each day just to survive and the immense poverty, it gives you a new outlook on life and you begin to realize what a blessing your life really is.

Two of the CSU students fell into the open gutters that are everywhere in Ghana. I felt so bad for them and a couple of us are now limping around campus. I used to fear falling into one of the gutters and have had some close calls, but I am getting much better in walking on campus, even at night. When I run into students in my group, everyone looks so different. We are all learning alot and growing through this adventure. Even the kids in my classes seem to be getting used to me and one of the ladies who is active in the Archaeology Department has taken me under her wings and is showing me the ropes.

Somedays I miss California so much--driving my car and heading down to Whole Foods Market or my favorite Ethiopian restaurant on Telegraph or spending time with my favorite girl, Mezzy, and want to pack my bags and leave; and then other days I love it so much here that the thought of leaving makes me want to cry. The gentleman at the front desk said that I would cry when it is time to leave, and I know he is correct.

Lastly, It is so empowering living in a Black nation!!!! Everywhere you go there are billboards up with Black people gracing them. The doctors, x-ray technicians and all the personnel at the clinic where I was seen, soap operas, award shows, commercials on t.v. are all Black. It is hard to describe what that does for your self esteem and sometimes I just well up with pride living in Africa and seeing all of the beauty that exists here. There is a simpleness to life here that does not exist in the U.S. Though I realize that it is incredibly hard for many people in Ghana, you feel the spirits of the people and they contain alot of joy and peace. Everywhere you go, people are constantly saying "God Bless You."

This whole experience has taught me alot about myself and made me realize that I am alot stronger than I have ever given myself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment