Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lines

Been here over a month and noticed that cutting in front of people in lines is a common practice here. At first I was in observe mode and just taking in everything around me. "Pass the line" is the phrase that is used. The person always looks back at you like, are you going to let me get over, so I know they know better. If you appear angry then they say "are you waiting in the line?" No, I'm just standing here because I have nothing better to do with my day.

So, last night while at the mall I was purchasing a book from the bookstore and once again a "gentleman" and lady cut ahead of me. She looked back to give me that look like am I going to let them do this. I read that there is a hierarchy in Ghanaian society where the men are on top and feel it is o.k. to jump ahead of a woman in line. Well . . . not being in the best of moods yesterday, I went around him and placed my mercandise directly in front of the cashier and said, "I was next." You should have seen the look on Dude's face. Complete shock. He mumbled some words in Twi all the while glaring at me. LOL, it was priceless!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment