Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nine Months


Well, the end is here!!!! There are a couple of classes held this week, but most ended last week. We had not finished all of the work in my Psychology class so we met this past Saturday.

The dorms are filled with everyone here and studying for finals. I have been cloistered in my room studyiny away. We had our Twi final last week and I think I did pretty good. I have been trying to use more phrases when I am out and about which really helps to learn the language. Ghanaians seem to appreciate it when you try to speak the language and really try to understand your attempts even if you are butchering the language. LOL. I have my Psychology final next Wednesday and then Earth Science and Archaeology on Friday of next week. Not sure how I will get all this material digested and I foresee a couple of all-nighters in my future.

All of us CSU students are having a going away dinner this coming Wednesday. Shaye is leaving on May 12, Farita on May 19 and thereafter Coco and Denise Lopez on May 21st. The remainding students are leaving at the end of May or early June. I'm trying to make arrangement to store my belongings when I travel to Ethiopia. Look forward to finishing with finals so that I can enjoy my last bit of Ghana. I guess the gentleman at the front desk was right when he said that students cry each year when it is time to leave.

Broke my final pair of glasses and had to go into town yesterday to find an optician to get a new pair because I can't see anything without them. I had to buy some contact lens solution and once again am shocked at the prices of items here. Drug stores don't sell the solution like they do in the the U.S., so you much purchase it at places like these and the costs are through the roof. Word to the wise, if you are visiting Ghana, bring all your must-have items with you because you will definitely pay less money for them in the U.S. So many items are imported here so that really drives up the cost.

There has been alot of rain lately and in Ghana when it rain in does indeed pour!!! In between the rain it has been hot and muggy. I've been taking the tro tro's alot lately and it was unbearable yesterday as we sat in heavy traffic for long periods of time.

The picture above is me and Melissa Ramirez playing around outside the CSU office after our Twi class. Melissa's birthday is today. She turned 23 years old. We went to Osu yesterday to the Smoothie place and had lunch. We had planned to go to Medina therafter, but one thing I learned in Ghana is that I have to start out early in the day. By the time you get tro tro somewhere and plus the heat, you are wiped out and usually need a nap. LOL.

Got sick last week after throwing caution to the wind and eating at a road side cafe (I know, I know). I was just getting over being sick after eating some yam chips that I ate from the Night Market, and now I have what seems to be a cold and flu like symptoms. The way the bugs have been eating me lately, it will be a miracle if I get out of Ghana without getting Maleria. Still taking my anti-malerial drugs as instructed and will continue to take them until I leave. I ran into a friend that never took any anti-malerial drugs and she got hit with maleria and it took her out for about two weeks. It was not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment