Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday


What a beautiful day it was!!! I went to services at Etherean Mission, which is my home church since I've been here in Ghana. The title of the sermon was "Your Resurrection Day." It was a beautiful sermon and the minister asked us to think about the areas in our lives that we want to "die" and in their place resurrect new habits, traits, and ways to walk in this world that better serve us and those around us. It was also healing service Sunday which is always a special service for me.

Afterwards, I went out to eat and I have never seen so many beautiful women dressed in all types of lovely dresses!!!! I was thinking today how much Ghanaians are like African-Americans used to be prior to the 1970's and living here I see so clearly that this was once our home. I always laugh when I see a Ghanaian do something that Black people in the States do and living here has made me understand myself and my community at home alot better. It has made me see that the rampant materialism that exists in the U.S. has made many Americans lose our way--lose our connection with what is Real and what really matters in life. To see so many people in Ghana that have so little, but exhibit a pride, joy and thanksgiving for the simple fact that they are alive, is a sight to behold and makes me feel grateful as well that I got a chance to see African life firsthand. I have been feeling my mother and grandmothers very keenly since I've been here because I see them in the faces of the women on the street, the doctor who treats me at the hospital, my professors here at the University, and of course in all the women I have encountered at the markets who labor very long hours day in and day out just to make it here. The amount of wisdom and love that I have experienced here will not be easily forgotten and I am endeavoring to find ways to bring back what I learned so that I can somehow share this blessing of the Mother with those that I come in contact with when I return.

There was a big rainstorm last night so the weather was cool and overcast today which is quite a blessing!!! The dorm has been quiet all weekend. This is a holiday weekend so I think many of the students are travelling or studying hard for finals. The picture above is Rev. Tetteh. He has been coming to my church in the Bay Area for years and I'm so glad that I had a chance to fellowship with him here in Ghana. The dancing and singing at church were so wonderful today. Will definitely miss Ghana and it's deep connection to the ancestors and African traditional teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment