Saturday, April 16, 2011

Some Tings

-After seven months of being here, I have finally adjusted to the heat. Two days this week I was out and about during the mid-day and I noticed that the heat does not affect me like it used to. In the past, I would feel as if I was going to pass out and would try to avoid being out in the noon time heat as much as possible.

-The thing that I feared the most has come upon me: I finally fell on campus. While waiting on a taxi, I stepped back and did not realize that there was a ditch being dug up right behind me. I'm usually very careful about these and the gutters which are all around campus and Accra for that matter. When I fell, I grabbed hold of Leticia's leg and she screamed thinking a dog had gotten hold of her. LOL!!!! Everyone turned around and said sorry, sorry, which is the way that Ghanaians respond to any misfortune. Except for a bruised hand that I landed on to break my fall, I was fine. I'm back to being very careful walking and getting around campus.

-Wish I could say that I've gotten over my fear of the lizards that are everywhere in Ghana. But, alas, I'm as afraid of these little critters as the day I arrived here. I get that they are harmless as they run away as you approach, but I don't think I'll ever take a liking to them as so many students now have. I am just glad that none have gotten into my room as other students have reported. I saw the biggest roach of my life in my room one time, but it was dead and other than some non-specific (I don't know what they are) creepy crawlers, I've been able to live with my roommates relatively stress free thus far.

-Went out to a wonderful jazz club this past Thursday. +233 is the name of it, which used to be the old Bass Line over near Ring Road. They had a great band from Trinidad and I had so much fun dancing and listening to the band. There were alot of people there from the African American Association of Ghana and everyone had a ball!!!

-Classes are winding down, with many of them ending soon. I really like how the University stops teaching classes a couple of weeks before finals which gives you plently of time to study. We are having our Twi oral final exam on Monday so I am busy studying away. My other finals don't start until May 11th, however, I have a couple of papers to complete within the next week.

-I am unfortunately sick with another bug and in bed doing my studying today. I think it was the food I ate at the function on Thursday night because the young lady I went with is also not feeling well. Got up and got dressed to go the library, but thought it might be better to stay here close to the bathroom.

-Looking foward to finals ending and I have a couple of places I want to go to here in Ghana before I leave. While I am out and about, I am soaking up all of Ghana--it's places and people. I truly hope to remember this experience for the rest of my life. It will be very hard to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment