Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day--Ghana Style!

Who knew that Valentine's Day would be as big a deal in Accra as it is in the States--I didn't. Well, it has always been a non-holiday for me, but while I was out last night with a friend celebrating his birthday, I noticed that restaurants were packed! There was music and dancing right on the sidewalk at a couple of places and a very festive atmosphere. When I got back to campus, there was a pool party in progress at the pool. There was alot of noise in the dorm last night. As I have a 8:30 a.m. class on Tuesdays, it was a early evening for me. Thought to myself last night that if I could live in a dorm in Africa I could almost live anywhere. LOL. I am getting over a cold/flu that kept me in bed all weekend so sleep came easily and the bugs that have been enjoying me for the last couple of weeks finally let me have a night of rest. LOL. This experience has definitely taught me to appreciate the little things in life!

I was glad to take a taxi with my Ghanaian friend to see how much the locals are charged vs. what they charge us foreigners. I could not believe how much they charged us to go to Osu with my friend negotiating the price. It was about five cedi's less than what us foreigners are always quoted. Armed with this new information, I can further sharpen my bargaining skills. Watch out Taxi Drivers!! Can't wait to get home and drive my own car again.

No comments:

Post a Comment