Thursday, February 3, 2011

Six Months


A couple of us were talking today and we can't believe six months have gone by so quickly. Found myself irritated at school today. I finally got that you have to check at the Department of the classes you are taking to see if there have been any room changes. There are no signs posted on the door when there is a room change so it is important to check at the Department. While at the Department, I noticed that the insturctor of my other Archaeology class had put up a sign for the class to meet the day before the scheduled meeting. Having missed that, I went to the class at the regularly scheduled time and the instructor did not show up. Some professors come to class the first week and some don't. You never know which it will be so I was happy I went to classes because my instructors starting lecturing on the first day. I love my Cultural Resources Management (Archaeology) class all ready!

Back on campus and feeling the aloneness of being a foreign student again. Ghana has forever cured me of caring what other people think of me, which is a good thing. Between the stares, the up and down looks and the heat, I was glad to get back to the International Hostel with other Americans who I share a bond with. I have met some very nice people here, but frankly, I am tiring of peoples' perceptions of me because i'm an American. The attitudes range from disdain to people who want to be your friend because to have an American friend is a benefit and everything in between. Tiring of the attitude that I should give you something because you think I'm rich and saddened that so many people want to come to the U.S. and that shapes how they interact with you.

We have all grown and changed so much because of our study abroad experience. I can see it in the faces of all those I made this journey with in August, 2010. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to immerse myself in such a rich cultural experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment