Sunday, February 6, 2011

Favorite Ghanaian Phrases (so far)

oo- Surprise.

Charlie - Used like Buddy. It took me awhile to figure this out and I kept looking for this chap called Charlie. LOL

Master - Used by males when they are addressing each other. I think it is the same as Charlie, but not sure.

Sit Down - Used by taxi drivers after you have negotiated the price down and are walking away.

I'm coming - Will be coming shortly, or excuse me.

You're Invited - Used to invite people to share some food or when you are coming into a place. When I return to my dorm at the end of the day I am often greeted with this phrase.

You Say? - When you don't understand what someone has said and you want them to repeat it.

I Beg You - My favorite. Used as a request for any and everything. I always throw in an Oo for good effect.

By His Grace - Every inquiry is met by this phrase.

aaa - Used when someone is indignant or a sign of disbelief or to chide someone or something. This is used alot.

Is that how you are? - Said when a person is inquiring about your motive.

Sucking teeth - Seems to be for emphasis, when someone is mad or to show disapproval. Now I know where African Americans get it from. (LOL)

And another favorite is when someone is talking they will stop and say Eh Anh (sorry spelling), then when they see that you have their point, they will proceed with what they are trying to convey.

Small, Small - Indicates a small amount.

Les Go - Let us go.

No comments:

Post a Comment