Friday, November 12, 2010

Tings

-It's HOT!!!!!! This humidity is killing me. As people have done since the beginning of mankind in Africa, I'm having to plan my days around the heat and staying in my room or in the shade during the hottest parts of the day. I freeze water nightly and carry it around with me throughout the day. It does not help when the water in the dorm goes out for two days. The bathrooms stink to high heavens. Went to the dorm down the road and took a shower the other night. As I walked back to my dorm under the beautiful African night sky, I prayed never to forget this expereince.

-Our weekend trip to Togo was cancelled because not enough people signed up for the trip. I was disappointed, but It is good because I can spend time studying most of the weekend. I'm determined to get all this material down so that I can do well on these finals.

-The final exam schedule was posted this week. I have my Archaeology and Religious studies finals on December 3rd and my other Archaeology final on December 4th. The date for the Twi final is yet to be determined. Papa Peprah said that we could pick what will be on the final.

-I was walking across campus the other day and my Archaeology professor stopped and waited for me and we chatted for a moment. I thanked him for always stressing during his lectures that we need to pay more attention to the environment. He invited me to his office to chat when I had more time. It felt so good to realize that I'm becoming a familiar face on campus. Also met with a group from my other Archaeology class--Human Origins--to work on our report from our field trip that we took two weeks ago. It was so nice to finally get to know the other students on a one-on-one basis, and I'm so impressed at how smart and intelligent many of the students on this campus are.

-Found the track and am loving running/walking around it every evening. At sunset, you get a beautiful view of Legon where our campus is located. I have lost 25 pounds so far and it feels good to finally trim down. Giving up my Starbucks habit was hard to do, but I can see the many benefits that not drinking my daily dose of Vente Soy Mocha is bringing me.

That's it for now. Gotta run to the market and get some fruits for my morning smoothies. Everything is bargained over here, so I'm practicing my Twi and putting on my game face. LOL. Mepaakyew Eye Sen? - Please, how much is it?

Blessings All!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment