Saturday, November 27, 2010

Annual Giving Thanks Dinner


Today was the Annual Giving Thanks Dinner put on by the African-American Association of Ghana. I went with two girls from my hostel. It was so nice. It feels so strange to be here during a major U.S. holiday, especially since it is so hot. I feel my body getting used to the omnipresent heat. Many of the members with friends and family came out. The food was soooooooooo good. I feel like I died and went to heaven. It was nice to meet more members and hear their stories of living in Ghana. There is so much potential in Ghana to soar in so many areas. I was talking to a friend and he was telling me that he paid 50 cedi a month for his small studio apartment. Fifty cedi is about $45 U.S. dollars. I could not believe it. It is a nice place though the bathroom is outdoors. He also said I could get a nice place with indoors bathroom for 200 cedi a month, which is only $142.00 U.S. dollars.

There was dancing, lots of laughter and I had a good time sitting out in the warm air (I did apply my bug spray). Farita, who is also from the Bay Area, and I both mentioned how cold the Bay Area temps probably were now. On the way back, we got a ride from this brother and he dropped us off at 37 station and I went and got a couple of things from a grocery store. I then went and caught the tro tro and the girls had gotten on it already. Listening to the banter between the riders in Twi was so delightful and I marvel at how strong many Ghanaians are. Now that the whether has turned hot, riding the tro tro is a whole nother experience. I was so cramped that it felt like my legs were going to break. But, hey, can't beat .50 pescas I guess.

Rode back and walked to the hostel with this young man from Nigeria who has been accepted to Yale University. The lightening was unreal. It gets dark every night around 6:00 p.m. since we've been here. It took a little getting used to when we got here in August. Living so close to the equator is quite an experience. The sun is so intense some times and you can feel how close you are to it.

In the midsts of finals. One on Monday and two on Saturday and I am through. Students are preparing to leave mid-December and many people are gearing up for vacations. I will savor all of the experiences I have here in the upcoming months so that this experience can be indelibly marked in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment