Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It's Been Three Months


I'm savoring each day here now because it is going to be over really soon. The students that are here for one semester are getting ready to leave next month. I'm so glad that I opted to stay for two semesters. This experience is getting richer and deeper the longer I stay here. Ghana feels like home now and the thought of returning to the U.S. makes me sad. The days are hot and muggy, but I'm slowly getting used to that as well. I've started going to the campus gym and have a personal trainer and I'm starting to trim down a bit. She urged me to start preparing my food and she went to the market and brought me a whole bunch of fruit and a blender and makes me delicious soups so that I can stop eating out. I love my personal trainer, Lydia. She is no nonsense and when I start to complain that I can't go on, she'll allow me to stop and then say, you own me.

Classes will be over in the next couple of weeks and then we'll have our finals. Looking forward to the break so that I can see more of Ghana and travel to Senegal and the Gambia. Yesterday I saw the biggest lizard since I've been here and he was heading towards my room. Leticia was coming out of her room and saw it too. We were cowering in fear and I cracked up because we are 100 times bigger than that lizard. I keep telling her if I see one in my room, I'm moving in with her.

Through it all, I am so glad that I did not let my fear of the unknown stop me from coming to Ghana. I'm learning so much about people, life and myself and know that this experience is making me a much better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment