Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vacation is Over


Back to classes. Registered for classes this week. The campus has started to become lively again as students return from break. I will be taking Twi, 2 linguistics classes, 2 archaeology classes, dance and singing. The weather has not been too hot for the last several days but I definitely have to sleep under the mosquito net or get eaten alive while I sleep.

I finally have the dubious distinction of being hit by a travel bug. Prior to this, I had only minor tummy upsets and would take motrin or immodium and that would do the trick. Not this time though. When I returned from Senegal last Saturday, I began feeling ill and threw up like I've never done in my life and horrible diarrhea (TMI,sorry). Thankfully, Leticia was on campus and she and her boyfriend took me to the clinic. I was doubled over in pain so they put an IV in and the medicine started to work quickly. I was at the clinic for a couple of hours sleeping. The tests came back all negative. The Doctor seems to think that I got a bug during my travels. That was so scary and if it was not for Leticia, I would never have been able to make it to the clinic unassisted. The only thing I had that morning was a muffin and orange juice that I got on the plane. I had a lay-over in Nigeria, but the only thing I had was water there, so go figure? I was so glad that I had opted to fly back from Senegal instead of remaining on the bus because finding hospital facilities would have been daunting.

Also learned that the semester has been extended because of the strike last semester so our end date will be May 28th and I got my return ticket today, so I'll be returning to the U.S. on June 18th--well leaving Ghana on June 18th and arrive at SFO on Sunday, June 19th. Looking forward to a productive semester and enjoying my remainding months here in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment