Sunday, January 30, 2011

Accra Mall


I was so proud of myself because I left church and found the right tro tro's to make it to the mall. I go to this mall quite a bit, but try not to buy too much as it is very expensive. I think the reason I enjoy going there so much is that it reminds me of home. I ate lunch and then took in a movie called Red, which was horrible. I walked out one hour into the movie. I then took the tro tro back to campus and was so happy as I passed by all the taxi drivers who were hawking for customers and who love to overcharge us foreigners. Tro tro is only 50 peswas, so you can't beat that price.

That reminds me, last week I came out of the mall and the security guard said, "let me help you get a taxi so they won't overcharge you." Well, a taxi comes up, takes one look at me and states a ridiculously large amount to get back to campus. Even the security guard, who is Ghanaian, was incredulous. I've learned to just state what I will pay and if they don't agree to it, just walk away. I used to get upset, but one taxi driver explained that that is part of the bargaining process. They state a price, then you counter it and so on. It is going to take a minute to get out of this practice when I get back to the States. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment