Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ghana ooooooooooooo!!!!!


Made arrangements with my two Archaeology professors to continue to lecture on the material for the classes since the strike is still on. The Government made an offer on Friday and the Lecturer's will vote on it on Monday. If they do not agree to the offer, the school will likely close. There was another meeting with the Dean of International students on Friday, but I did not see the notice until it was too late to attend. In the meantime, I am enjoying the one-on-one instruction with my lecturers and I really like the fact that I can have all of my questions and comments entertained.

The water has been off more than on this past week. That and the hot muggy weather that now exists makes it a bit more difficult to be comfortable. When the water is on I get so happy and race in the bathroom to shower and get cleaned up. For the most part it is taken in stride and if it is off too long some students go over to other dorms and if their water is on, take a shower there. My ceiling fan is on all the time now and I am constantly dripping with sweat. Even after two months of being here, I am still amazed that I am in Africa!

The Department of Theater Arts put on a play last night called The Seamstress of St. Francis. It was directed by a visiting professor, Niyi Coker Jr., from the University of Missouri. This is a short blurb about the play:

"In North St. Louis, Missouri, during the summer of 1958, a woman is struggling with a secret and a prodigal sister unexpectedly appears like a force of nature. The storm that is sitrred up leaves behind both a trail of calamities and some unforeseen hope."

Of course with the story being set in the U.S., the students had to affect Black American accents and they did a pretty good job at it. The house was packed and it was nice to see a drama about the lives of African-Americans and made me proud of the history and strength of Blacks in America. During one of the set changes, I overheard a comment that was made by a student sitting behind me about Black Americans and It made me realize that our long, valiant struggle against oppression in America and the idioms that are a result of that struggle, are truly an inspiration to Black people around the world.

People really love President Obama here. Whenever I'm talking with someone they always bring him up and say how much they love and appreciate him. I was talking with a gentleman on Friday and telling him some of the challenges President Obama is facing in America and he got saddened to hear the struggle that American's first Black president is having. They even have an hotel a little ways from campus named Hotel Obama and I was told that the name existed even before he became the President.

I loved the night sounds walking across campus back to my dorm after the play. All the night creatures make beautiful music and the warm night air was so calming to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment